Modes of Certification

Prior to registration with any of the provincial associations of architects in Canada, applicants must have their academic qualifications certified by the CACB. Following certification of their academic qualifications, applicants are then required to complete the licensing requirements (including internship and exams) for the province in which they wish to register.

There are four ways to satisfy the Canadian Education Standard for admission to provincial architectural associations in Canada:

This mode of certification applies to graduates of professional programs in Architecture accredited by:

  • the Canadian Architectural Certification Board (CACB); or
  • the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB)-USA.

This mode of certification applies to the graduates of following programs:

  • Programs of Canadian Schools of Architecture prior to the implementation of the CACB Accreditation System in 1991,  which consist of:
    • University of British Columbia
    • University of Calgary
    • Carleton University
    • Technical University of Nova Scotia (TUNS)-Currently, Dalhousie University
    • Université Laval
    • University of Manitoba
    • McGill University
    • Université de Montréal
    • University of Toronto
    • University of Waterloo
  • Programs of Foreign Schools(except the USA)  of Architecture including the graduates of Canberra Accord Signatories since January 1, 2010.

Architects who were registered prior to July 1, 1976, by a provincial association, or by the Ordre des architectes du Québec prior to 1992, or whose education was certified by the Universities Coordinating Council in Alberta prior to 1992, are accepted as having an equivalent education to satisfy the Canadian Education Standard.

This mode applies to graduates who have received a Diploma from the RAIC Syllabus of Studies Program.